Cajón Drum

I use a 57. Get it, it's worth the money. It's not that expensive if you look at the whole range of mics that are in the industry. It's a good mic that will last.

gotta get a mic stand with it and takes time to set up.

sigh, its a gd suggestion but there r some constraints on my side lah

It takes very little time to set up. Takes me less than a minute before shows to set up a mic stand and attach the 57 to it.

Bought this off another softie some thing back.

4268d4a9.jpg

The plain brown was a bit boring, and the wood grain didn't show up well. It can be seen easily if you view from an odd angle, but straight-on, you can hardly see the grain. I felt it was a waste of the nice grain on the front panel.

819d5459.jpg

A thin wash of diluted black dye to bring out the grain. I went over lightly, then quickly wiped off the excess so only the grain lines absorbed most of the dye. I'm not too sure about this, but I think it's because the grain has pores which can absorb it better.

80508596.jpg

Following which, I dyed the top amber, the center red and the bottom "mahogany".

The fade isn't smooth but I guess it's fine for a first fade attempt.

398f1936.jpg

The sides are darkened slightly using a thin wash of maho dye.

The wood used for this isn't sealed, but it isn't very absorbent either. I wanted to get a similar tone as the drumset I dyed, but the red did not absorb as well.

My acoustic band is also thinking of getting a cajon, but our budget's not very big and we're all sharing the cost. Benster mentioned a good Carlos cajon at Ranking... May I ask how much it costs there? Thanks!

My acoustic band is also thinking of getting a cajon, but our budget's not very big and we're all sharing the cost. Benster mentioned a good Carlos cajon at Ranking... May I ask how much it costs there? Thanks!

The carlos cajon at ranking sports costs $169. It does'nt sound very good. The Meinl Cajons at Swee Lee sound very good, but are expensive. About $600.

Yup. We tried it out already, discovered that the snare sound was alright but the bass sound wasn't up to par, especially since my percussionist was already very familiar with the Meinl cajons. Quite a big difference in sound, and also a very big difference in price.

Yup. We tried it out already, discovered that the snare sound was alright but the bass sound wasn't up to par, especially since my percussionist was already very familiar with the Meinl cajons. Quite a big difference in sound, and also a very big difference in price.

Yea... I was thinking of getting the Meinl Snare Cajons, the ones that you can adjust the sizzle effect with a knob. $640. Gotta start saving up.

DIY CAJON(10 yrs old!!!)

Hi,
This's my last 10 yrs DIY cajon!! always use it for unplug gig(2 guitar,1 cajon)or jam session!!! don't feel comfortable playing with the bending position(back pain!!!) so I come out this more relax & comfortable idea with my old cajon!! change the "main head" as "kick-drum"...the "Snare"will be on my left position!!! attached with a Mini-Hat!!!I can now play this Cajon for whole nite with no "back pain"!!!
33661_444677903586_689133586_5491433_3502291_n.jpg

Wow, saw some of the diy cajons! Nice! Great job!

I think one of the best Cajons I've ever played is the Schlagwerk Cajon. I've tried Meinl, Carlos, FatCongas, and a few others. In my opinion, nothing comes close to Schlagwerk. In fact, I'm buying one two weeks from now for my student. If you're going to spend about $600 for a Meinl Cajon, don't. Spend that money on a Schlagwerk. Mile's better. My opinion.

=)

Cajon Player Or Percussionist

hi

i'm looking for a cajon player to join my acoustic group. We've been in different bands before so this will be a first.Our motive is to constantly perform,lookout for venues cause we seriously enjoy doing music.I myself personally have been entertaining since 10years old;and i haven stop since.

Looking forward to a reply. :)

Can anyone suggest where to buy a reasonable sounding cajon that is priced around $300 dollars?

I went down to Yamaha@PS, Swee Lee, Ranking Sports & Music today and all their cajons are unexpectedly around $550 or above.

The Carlos cajon, although priced at $200 sounds really crappy ):

Can anyone suggest where to buy a reasonable sounding cajon that is priced around $300 dollars?

I went down to Yamaha@PS, Swee Lee, Ranking Sports & Music today and all their cajons are unexpectedly around $550 or above.

The Carlos cajon, although priced at $200 sounds really crappy ):

Cajon pricing at about $300 are really hard to find. You may want to wait for swee lee sale and get a meinl cajon at half the pricing of what you see in the stores. A really good brand of cajon you may want to reconsider is schlagwerk. Those cajon are extremely rare, made in Germany. The workmanship is good but the price definitely fits what you get. Ranking do hold a few strings cajon but they are way above budget. Music theme is still selling schlagwerk hip box at about 300. You may want to check it out. They are coming in their second batch of cajons from schlagwerk in about august. If you up your budget to 400 you can get a snare cajon at that price. Personally i will be going back to thailand for holiday to look for music shops holding schlagwerk cajons at cheaper pricing that of Singapore. Hope this helps.

i may make a bangkok trip this weekend. Please let me know where or from which shops i can buy these cajuns. Really want a good but reasonably priced one. Thanks very very much.

This cajon, custom made in Singapore
Front panel - only choose from 4 patterns
but colour - your choice!
other parts - all black paint.
3 different sizes - piccolo, standard & deluxe
Bass sound - shiok
Snare sound - confirmed strong
Price - $280 includes bag for standard

Interested, email sales@urbanlegend.com.sg
Cajons4patternscustomcolour.jpg
[/IMG]

i got my cajon for $300 at guitar77. unknown brand but sounds pretty awesome (compared to the schlagwerk i used to use). responsive and snare comes out well. personally i think schalgwerk is rather overpriced - rich sound but stiff and unresponsive unless you get the higher end ones (~$800). meinl has more responsive cajons and sounds lighter on the ears :)

Back