Styles of guitar playing!

MusicPebbles

Hey guys, i was thinking to discuss this topic with all guitarists. Lets bring the focus to the Flatpicking style(uses plectrum) and the fingerstyle.
I was thinking that does a guitarist need to learn both styles? or excel in one? Coz i do not have much money to learn both though. Choose one :p.
I am mainly playing steel strung acoustic guitar and electrics. which style do u guys prefer? i wanna play in a band of ROCK. Do i need to learn the fingerstyle which is mainly played in classical music? I am now playing the guitar in the flatpicking style. Some Advise pls... Thanks :mrgreen:

Hey guys, i was thinking to discuss this topic with all guitarists. Lets bring the focus to the Flatpicking style(uses plectrum) and the fingerstyle.
I was thinking that does a guitarist need to learn both styles? or excel in one? Coz i do not have much money to learn both though. Choose one :p.
I am mainly playing steel strung acoustic guitar and electrics. which style do u guys prefer? i wanna play in a band of ROCK. Do i need to learn the fingerstyle which is mainly played in classical music? I am now playing the guitar in the flatpicking style. Some Advise pls... Thanks :mrgreen:

hey! i think if you wanna delve into the genre rock, then it would be better to use the flatpicking style. But at the same time, do not limit yourself to flatpicking, maybe try to adapt fingerstyle into it as well, and this is known as hybrid picking to many. you could youtube some videos and see if you find any interesting :) but at the same time i think flatpicking would be quite suitable as a start out point in rock music.

If you want fast entry, go flat-picking. Very quickly should be able to play decent rock tunes. If you wanna go crazy (like me), learn finger pick etc. If you know how to finger pick, ie. use all of your right fingers to play, using a pick is a cinch.

Plus thing I feel about finger picking is speed... with enough practice can reach speeds flat-picking can't. But stead progression, best go with flat-picking.

Learn both is good. Can do the chicken picking that Zakk Wylde does. stylo myloooo
ahaha

Learning is easy but to have result.. you need is to practise daily at home...

I would suggest you learn both...cause as a guitarist.....you will never know where you will need to play rockabilly or fingerstyle blues...or even fingerstyle rock...

GO see Brian Setzer...you will be amazed how fast he changes from fingerpick to flat....just a flick...and his pick will disappear and hiding somewhere between his fingers....another flick..his pick appear again......

Just to side track....once I heard from a performing classical guitarist claimed that he can do both, not may guitarist can do it he said and he is so proud of it...I am thinking..wow... what a shame for him to say that.....it is quite common among the rock,blues, jazz genre people to be able to do both.....

So learn both..hehehe

Anyway..it is up to you...what u like....

oh well, it all depends on the style of music your playing. your style. and also the tone that you want to achieve. you can always laternate between the two.
plus im more to picking but when comes a time where the pick is not available, the fingers is always available.

fingers seem to gives more rounded, warmth tone compared to picks.

Yep, agreed.

When turning down your tone doesn't achieve that warm fuzzy wuzzy tone ya want, turn to your magic fingers ^.^

like we said ealier.

anyways, no one really knows whats best for you.
its your style and your taste.
what migh tbe spicy to me might be sweet to you.

in my honest opinion, just try out and see how it goes with you.
its more about you and your preference.

stop thinking about "best this, best that"
sometimes its good to know whats best but sometimes its more about your taste, style, comfort.

just play, and see how things go. you will learn in time.

hmm i think for styles of music like rock, flatpicking should be the most common style. but i suggest like everyone else here that you should expose yourself to more styles like fingerpicking and hybrid picking, which can come in useful.

there is no best style, just try to familiarise yourself with 2 or 3 styles and use them whenever you feel appropriate.

stop thinking about "best this, best that"
sometimes its good to know whats best but sometimes its more about your taste, style, comfort.

just play, and see how things go. you will learn in time.

yes, can agree with this.
just start where you are able/comfortable.
then add to this.
then add some more.
the learning never stops.

slightly off-topic, lindsey buckingham (of fleetwood mac) doesn't use a pick at all. he evolved his own style of playing with bare fingers alone.

Last edited:
learn all la, soon you realize you wanna play more than just ROCK lol.

learning more means you have more choices !!

haha the bottom line is to never stop learning. just pace yourself and decide which techniques to learn first.

no harm learning something which you think you may not need/use, you never know when it will come in useful. :)

You shouldn't need lessons to play fingerstyle or flatpicking or whatever it's called - just lots of practice. A good practice routine is to fingerpick, alternating between downward and upward strokes, going across all the strings.

You can do this while watching TV or reading, just mute the guitar with your left hand so that you don't interfere with others around you. And hour or so a day and you'll soon build enough finger strength and dexterity.

HTH
RoRK

I want to learn only Flatpicking style to play ROCK is it ok?
With my electric, i seldom play acoustic.

Last edited:
I want to learn only Flatpicking style to play ROCK is it ok?
With my electric, i seldom play acoustic.

i think it's perfectly fine, but maybe somewhere down the road you may want to add hybrid picking to your skills. it's a useful technique to have especially when you are playing repetitive rifts on alternate strings, eg Mighty To Save by Hillsong. :D

Back