is it true that leaning the guitar against the wall will cause neck to warp?

van_halen

Banned
is it true that leaning your guitar against the wall will cause the neck to warp? anyone experienced it first hand?

if tts really the case, then everyone of us needs to invest in guitar stands and hardcases already man...

:D

Put on the bed with pillow for support! Dont know about the warping..i hang mine on the wall..but leaning against the wall is damn dangerous. Accidents can happen so just buy a stand..or use the bed. Lol

but come to think of it, even if put on a guitar stand, the neck will still be leaning against the stand.. isnt it the same as lean against wall and cause warping?

how abt hanging on a wall hanger? or will the guitar's weight cause the neck and body to pull apart and cause warping or other damage too

There are stands where the back is short and the guitar body is leaning on it instead of the neck, but obviously very easy for the guitar to fall off.

dude get a wall hook or something.if warp then adjust from truss rod la.everyone must have gone thru d.i.y experiences before.

heh, lets visualise it

The string tension from the bridge(be it stop tail or FR/lisensed FR/any sort of FR etc) all the way to the tuning peg Vs the tension of the tip of the headstock to the wall. Which one seems having a more severe pressure? Throw in the effect of the trust rod counter effect on the string tension and the resting against wall tension...

must give our modern guitar more credit mah. The thrust rod inside also got strength one, where got warp so easy.

But best, keep the instrument in the case when not playing the best. Imagine if your instrument is your love ones/darlings, wife, hubby, girlfrd, boyfrd, soulmate etc and you put them out in open, naked everyday, got wind, dust and direct moisture etc, just becasue we like to look at them. So sad right. But then if your room a clean room, no dust, 24/7 close with humidifier, maid to clean up, then ignore the above.

My acoustic guitar neck warped quite badly at one point, but it was due to my usage of gauge 12 strings without proper set-up. Stupid of me.

Its really quite a painful process, but surprisingly, the warping got less when I changed back to gauge 10s, in fact its almost straight.

Can someone clarify if truss rods are able to restore a guitar neck's straightness with proper action? I think this won't just help me, but others as well.

it will warp and twist and turn ugly!!!! don't do it! keep it face down flat on the floor at all times!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

it will warp and twist and turn ugly!!!! don't do it! keep it face down flat on the floor at all times!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Agreed.. I learnt it the hard way cause I left my guitar in a hard case which was LEANING against the wall..
A few months later I got fret buzz all over.. Had to make some adjustments with the truss rod..
Now playability is worsen (strings further away from fretboard) but no more buzz..
Get those kinda stands that ONLY support by the body.. Trust me, its not that fragile unless you knock into it..
Those wall hanging types aint that bad too..

i used to love hanging my guitars on the walls using the hangers. coz once a guy from a guitar shop tells me tat it is good and safer to prevent warp.

it was ok accept for the drillings... but i stop doing so.
not because the necks are warp. it is because my strings turned rusty fast!!!

so nowadays, keep in hardcase. lie down.
so far no warp, no super fast rust. no disturbance by my niece and nephew.

Back