Help..Muddy guitar tones..

blacktapestry

Hey there...

I'm a pretty fresh guitar player.. and i recently have been playing in a band with a few mates.
I've been getting a lot of flack about my tones being pretty muddy. i'm wondering if you guys have any tips that could help. I've tried turning up the trebles but all it really does is make it sharper.. i'm tryin to achieve a brighter sound.

My rig:
-Squier Tele Affinity Series (Stock parts)
-Boss Me-80
- Marshall MG15fx

Hey there...

I'm a pretty fresh guitar player.. and i recently have been playing in a band with a few mates.
I've been getting a lot of flack about my tones being pretty muddy. i'm wondering if you guys have any tips that could help. I've tried turning up the trebles but all it really does is make it sharper.. i'm tryin to achieve a brighter sound.

My rig:
-Squier Tele Affinity Series (Stock parts)
-Boss Me-80
- Marshall MG15fx
If you are playing through the ME-80, make sure your amp is set to the clean channel (down gain and up volume).
Pickup selection is optional depending on the tone you want.
Test the ME-80 selection one at a time until you get the clean sound you want (compressor and sustain in mid) ..... overdrive and distortion last. Go easy on the distortion or it may sound like a giant mosquito.
Show us a pic of your ME-80 setting if possible.

Record your guitar tone and put a link here that would help us visualise better, just a simple recording would do.

Hello people,
Is the muddy-ness coming through when you're plugged into just the amp?
Is the neck "bowing"? Use a capo on the first fret and fret down the strings at your highest frets and look at the gap at the seventh fret. That gap should be as thin as possible.
Next do take a look at your pickup heights, according to the "internet", it ought to be around 2mm -2.5mm. There are many heights defined by various persons. See which works for you.

Hopefully, this helps.
YouTube videos are in abundance to hopefully explain more details on how to perform these checks and changes.

Best wishes...

don't scoop the mids when playing with a band, dial back the gain a tad.
15w might be too light, and you may not have enough head room

Back