Fuzz Pedal for Bass Recommendation

EryaRozalia

Quite new and a noob to pedals. I never really thought about getting one lmao but I've been rather curious and wanna try it out cos I'll never know unless I try and the fuzz pedal is quite intriguing to me. So what fuzz pedals do you recommend?

I'm using a Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi by Electro-Harmonix. You can check it out here:

http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-bass-big-muff-pi

I love the tones I can get out of this monster. Great for alternative rock; I'm a Muse fan, so Chris Wolstenholme's tone (at least from some of Muse's earlier stuff) comes to mind, even though he's using an earlier model - the one we're talking here is a modern deluxe version with more options for tonal versatility. Despite being primarily a fuzz pedal, the tone is strong enough to double as a distortion pedal (at least for me), and can be used with guitars as well (I use it with my Telecaster from time to time, no issues). It also sounds great coupled with a compressor, and works great with both active and passive basses.

The one downside to this pedal (which I suspect is inherent of all Big Muff models for bass) is that if you emphasise the fuzz tone more than the bass guitar tone itself, you might lose some bottom end, but that can be easily rectified with some tweaking of the EQ on your amp.

I bought mine about three years ago at Davis Guitar (Peninsula) for $160; unless I'm mistaken, they still have it at the same price. You can always head over and inquire about it. There's also the classic model if weight/cost is an issue (the Deluxe version is somewhat heavy for a pedal, almost like a brick), but I do recommend the Deluxe version; you get a lot more options for about ~$30 more than the standard.

Back