Bomb Shelter for Musical Instruments

TubThumper5

I am thinking about playing acoustic drums in my bomb shelter in my condo. I have a full acoustic kit, so it is naturally loud, but I was thinking about trying to do some minor soundproofing to reduce the volume outside the room. My thought is to cover up most of the air vent (obviously need to leave some venting open) and put a portable air con unit in the bomb shelter, float the floor, and put up some soundproofing material on the walls and ceiling.

Will this idea work? Anyone ever seen or done something like this? Anything I should be aware of? (I don't plan on playing past 9:00 at night or before 10:00 in the morning, if that matters.)

Thanks!

Have you tried putting your drumset in the bomb shelter?

I have tried the bass drum and it cuts through the walls a bit. (I have not done any soundproofing to the bomb shelter yet.) I have also contacted a sound acoustic/sound proofing company, but I am worried they will be very expensive. Any ideas?

I would set up the full drum set and play to monitor how bad is the noise. No point doing the sound proofing before knowing how the sound pollution is.

My neighbor has put his acoustic drum set in his bomb shelter. He says it works for him, with some soundproofing which I believe only consists of foam panels on the walls. I haven't been there but I never heard anything from my house. Then again, we are in semi-detached houses so soundproofing is less of an issue, especially with regards to the ground.

I would set up the full drum set and play to monitor how bad is the noise. No point doing the sound proofing before knowing how the sound pollution is.

Well, the issue is I am considering buying a condo, but I need to make sure a bomb shelter will work as a sound proof drum room before I commit that kind of money. The bomb shelter I have right now is in a rental, so I don't want to spend the money to try and sound proof that room.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the heads up. I am mostly concerned about the sound going up or down. I think the thicker walls will help control the sound going horizontally. Do you know if your neighbor's family can hear the drums in the rooms above the bomb shelter.

You need to be very careful about ventilation. If the room is fully sealed up without oxygen coming in, the carbon dioxide will build up. Quite dangerous.

You need to be very careful about ventilation. If the room is fully sealed up without oxygen coming in, the carbon dioxide will build up. Quite dangerous.

That is certainly something to consider, although I plan on have the air vent a tad bit open. I also plan on having a portable a/c unit in the room with the venting going through the vent hole. I think that should do the trick.

Idk about condo bomb shelter, I'm using mine for electric guitar and bass and it seems pretty ok, you can consider laying carpet on the floor and also some sound proofing foam. But maybe is a good idea to play and test the sound first before spending on all these.

nope no one complain so far and moreover most of the neighbours close their doors so I guess maybe that further prevent the sound from disturbing them.

Back