Need advice on Screamed Vocals

yingkaik

Hello everyone! Its been a while since i have stepped into the forum.

I am currently looking into getting a microphone for the purposes of Screamed Vocals and a search on the internet seems to reccomend the Shure Sm58 Microphone (Which im looking to purchase atm) . I am not really a technical individual so armed with a basic HP laptop (HP elite book 2530) how would one start off in recording vocals using his laptop? Are there any additional interface i am required to get to plug in my microphone to my computer?

Thank you so much for your assistance i look forward to your replies!

noobie question : can know what is "screamed vocals"

btw u can use a UsB Mixer to connect ur mic to lappie to sing into pc. usually a software like steinberg if u use yamaha mixer.
hope this helps.

hi,

you would need a compressor so that your "screamed vocal" does not peak.

compressor could be hardware or software.

do google about it.

=)

The SM58 is a very good choice. An classic that you find on pro stages as well as with amateurs because of its quality and moderate price.

In principle you can plug the Mic into the mic input of your computer, if it has one, but the result will be pretty bad. Better get a USB audio interface, which is basically an external soundcard, and will probably also contain a mic preamp.

You don't need a compressor. If your voice is peaking already in the microphone, there is nothing a compressor can do. You may just have get further away from the mic. Though in general you always want to be as close as possible. Any other peaking you should be able to control with the gain control of your soundcard or preamp (=whatever you plug the mic into). Once you get a peak-free signal, you can start thinking about compression to make the voice sound fuller. But there are also good software compressors - no need to buy it in hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

The SM58 is a very good choice. An classic that you find on pro stages as well as with amateurs because of its quality and moderate price.

In principle you can plug the Mic into the mic input of your computer, if it has one, but the result will be pretty bad. Better get a USB audio interface, which is basically an external soundcard, and will probably also contain a mic preamp.

You don't need a compressor. If your voice is peaking already in the microphone, there is nothing a compressor can do. You may just have get further away from the mic. Though in general you always want to be as close as possible. Any other peaking you should be able to control with the gain control of your soundcard or preamp (=whatever you plug the mic into). Once you get a peak-free signal, you can start thinking about compression to make the voice sound fuller. But there are also good software compressors - no need to buy it in hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for doubling the text and not being able to edit. The forum software seems not to be functioning well with my version of Chrome.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for doubling the text and not being able to edit. The forum software seems not to be functioning well with my version of Chrome.

hi there,

Actually, it all depends on what the threadstarter is looking for...

if his/her project is just to "scream thoughout" the vox recording, then it is quite straight forward:

that is to either adjust preamp, and/or stand further from the mic, coz the dynamics will be consistent.

~~
The Compressor always serves a purpose in post-production, which i sometimes might need.

Imagine a rock song of 3 mins. The singer started soft, then when reached chorus, screamed for 30 secs... then at coda, back again to normal...

are you going to adjust preamp when the "screaming" starts? or quickly stand further away? (though technically is possible...)

The compressor kicks in to perform threshold control and peak reduction.

whether you need a compressor or not is a choice, but a compressor's purpose is to control dynamics

more info on compressor can be located in

www.soundonsound.com

and in modern days, most audio editors do have built-in compressors in them.

hope this helps...

=)

yes, well done explaining. This is one of the reasons why compressors are useful. I hope the TE is still reading.

I just meant to point out two things: yes, compressors are a useful accessoire, but
1. they do not help with peaking, because they increase the volume of softer parts but do nothing to the loudest peaks. You probably mean a limiter.
2. they are not the first thing to think about when getting into recording. First are: get a mic, get an interface, get a DAW/sequencer-software. When you know how to operate these, start thinking about how to use effects with them.

Last edited:
Back