Full Guitar Set Up

lamestaine

Hi Soft

Quick question: Is intonation checking (and adjustments if required) usually already included when you send your guitar for a full setup?

Ahh thanks i thought so too. Found it a little odd at one of the guitar shops just now when i asked for a full setup. but when i asked about intonation they said i'd have to pay extra.

when you set your guitar up, action adjustments will affect intonation- it's as simple as this. so if you are of a certain reputation, you will included this in the service package.

@ lamestaine, I define setup as putting the guitar as close to factory specs as possible. This should include:
Checking, setting the correct neck relief.
Action, string height at the 1st and 14th to factory, work out any fret buzz (take care of one or two frets).
Restring, tune and intonation

I can see paying extra if a bunch of frets need leveling , re-crowning..

So, who’s the setup god in Singapore? Floyds, truss adjustments, level some frets etc.. you know drop off your guitar and it comes back ready to play, not just change the strings and raise the action lol.

@ lamestaine, I define setup as putting the guitar as close to factory specs as possible. This should include:
Action, string height at the 1st and 14th to factory, work out any fret buzz (take care of one or two frets).

So, who’s the setup god in Singapore? Floyds, truss adjustments, level some frets etc.. you know drop off your guitar and it comes back ready to play, not just change the strings and raise the action lol.

Returning to factory specs is a good starting point, but every player is different and may require different setups for action and neck relief, which in turn affects intonation.

Sometimes a guitar is not cooperative (like my strat) and demands to be set at a higher action for maximum toans

Malcolm is the man for me! Whatever preference you want. The way you want it. He can do it all! Won't go wrong with him!

Hey guys, I think a set-up is like a customization process to get the best performance of the guitar subjective to the owner's playing style and is comfortable.
Setups should generally cover this steps in my opinion.

Getting the right saddle heights, then neck adjustments(truss rod compensations) the following day, then nut optimization. Initial intonation at saddle. Then cleaning the fretboard and hard to get areas near the neck and replacement of strings of the same gauge and prefably the same tension force,then the string stretching and then final intonation. The guitar will be left overnight to show any flaws and then another set-up check to meet the player's specifications.
If there are easily fixable high spots in the frets, spot leveling can be a good thing.

Last edited:
Back