Looking for bands to perform live at F&B outlet

No need pitchforks lah. We dont go fashionable. Just right the wrong and move on. ;)

True

I'm sure Hacky meant well.

This platform is suitable for newer/ amateurish bands to handle their stage fright, if any.

For veteran/ skilled bands, u can just skip this page. Maybe the restaurant/pub are new and can't afford paying. Just like I said earlier, newer and bands starting out, should give it a try.

True

This platform is suitable for newer/ amateurish bands to handle their stage fright, if any.

For veteran/ skilled bands, u can just skip this page. Maybe the restaurant/pub are new and can't afford paying. Just like I said earlier, newer and bands starting out, should give it a try.

if what you're performing doesn't deserve to be paid, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be performing in the first place. stop ruining eardrums.

True

this is pure exploitation, similar to all those p2p gigs of yesteryear ( which probably still is happening today )
so what if they are new? the original post said no equipment provided, only air con if i'm new and i see that there is no infrastructure for a performance what do i do?

Faisal,

People like you is exactly why new bands don't get paid and are being exploited and thus in the long run, gives up music because they realise there's no returns for all that work.

Stop. Wake up. And bloody think.

Can't stand you.

Last edited:
I propose to put a tip jar on stage. If the audience like what they hear, they can put a little into the tip jar.

Would this be fair for both musicians and venue owners?

I propose to put a tip jar on stage. If the audience like what they hear, they can put a little into the tip jar.

Would this be fair for both musicians and venue owners?

nice. seems like tip jars are a trend right now too! btw I need a shoe-shiner next weekend. anyone like to do it? there'll be a tip jar on the scene.

thank you for all interest

I need to reiterate as above: no pay as we do not charge customers.

My Opinion is :-

Playing for FREE just for 1 particular gig say 1 Set in a Particular Venue once in a month ( or say even Twice just for 1 set in a Month ) - -for the FUN-Sake .. It’s ok – A Win –Win Kinda thing of Recipocal arrangements.

BUT “ Playing For Free In a F & B Outlet “ continuously throughout a week or month, or months is ABSURD truly…. It is just not right here and I call this Direct Exploitation and is no longer a Win Win kinda situation and definitely it’s not a Fun Thing.

If You & Your Band is asked to play in a Venue every week - That's Means ( You & Your Band are Great & Have A Wide Range Of Repertoire like any other Professional Bands ) & the establishment would have To Pay You & Your Band To Play there permanently and that is only right.

Musicians need Transportation to play at the Venue through & fro, and taking all their evening time ( as we know – Time Is Money too here ) not that you are making them Partners of your establishments as if they own a share in it.

And the F& B Outlet expect the Bands to bring beside themselves, their own Instruments like Drums & Cymbals & Accessories, Guitars, Amps, Keyboards, even Mics there, or to be put there ( something like T-Loan to this F&B Outlets )...ohhh please correct me if I am wrong here....

And- What’s with all the “ We don’t Charge Customers “ thing ..you mean they don't charge customers for Food & Beverages ? then what kind of F&B Outlet is this ? …. Free Food/Drinks For All With Live Band Entertainments ?

If True - Food & Beverages Already FREE - - There Is No Need For FREE-BANDS.

None of this is Sustainable Over The Long Run ? …. Not the Outlet ( unless it belongs to a multi Millionaire who has no where to spend his $$$) as well as the Musicians.

Is this even for real ? ................... really > FREE FOOD & BEVERAGES ? .... Please let us know the Name of this Establishment and Address.....

Hey we should all be there once in a while.... that's Super Nice ... and one of a kind in Singapore.

If this is no Bulls, I would love to have a Free Steak pleaseeeeeeeeeeee ... kekekekeke

Last edited:
I didn't really want to comment here but I would like to add on that there are existing f&b outlets who are currently doing this. And unless everyone protests and says no together, there will be outlets still doing this.

Any advice from the more experienced people on how to deal with these outlets nicely?

sorry it was never meant to be an insult to you guys.

I'm really sorry if i offended any of you in any way on what I can provide in return.

No worries hacky, but I seriously have a QUESTION, or should I put it as a clarification from your end here.

Really ? Free Food & Beverages Offered to Customer Every Single Day ? I mean .... " Unbelievably Nice F & B Outlet Here In Singapore " but then what's the logic of it's existence here then ? It really puzzle me.

But yes of course, if there is no paying customers ( if that's really true ) at this F&B, then of course they do not bother about the Quality Of The Music, because everything is Free in the 1st place as such they have no right to demand.

Then as this establishment is already losing money from the 1st day of it's operation, how can they afford to pay for he bands .. this I am sure we can all understand.... But is this the case ?

Last edited:
Since the admin has not taken this off (yet) I had a bad weekend because of this infighting and thought I'll explain myself. Sorry for the long text.

Once again, i apologise for what seem like insulting the professionals in the scene here.

Some were picking my words out of context. Yes I did put free electricity and air con, but it was a tongue in the cheek comment to add some humour. I did put a smiley but guess it backfired very badly. I meant genuinely that it's small scale and that you dont have to bring power generators like at getai, rallies... ; and air con only meant that you probably wont be sweating out in the haze.

To those that thought providing meals was also an insult, they might have made it somewhere in their music career where they can command hundreds/gig (i read it somewhere)
My take is that food is a necessity that I can provide in exchange for your time. I'm not going to talk about starving kids in Africa, even in Singapore there are lots of under-privileged families which i have been indirectly involved in providing for them. One organisation i know of cooks and delivers round the clock with little rest. All voluntary and from the goodwill of others. But this is a different discussion altogether.

When i meant no nirvana, i meant no angsty kind of rock music because I'm no esplanade pavilion/youth park where you can freely express your music in the open environment
I grew up listening to Kurt Cobain. Smells like teen spirit

To the trollers out there, i wont take your bait. We are all matured adults. Those few that contacted me would know that I was not out to exploit them. I had told them this arrangement was something new that i wanted to try out and that if they had a strong following, we could discuss something towards monetary returns in future. All I can provide for now was this and that. A very normal business proposal.

My 2nd post on "No pay...We do not charge customers" was a reiteration because i was getting responses from what seemed like professionals even though they didn't explicitly state it. I was not looking at and have no intention of organising a paid concert like "Listen to the B0redpucks live at hacky's for $XX". If i was, i would definitely pass on gate sales to the band.

For thought: the regular busker at Haji lane was probably not earning hundreds maybe sometimes not enough for a meal ( i did not go try count his basket ) but i guess he was passionate about sharing his music with the hippy crowd. Was he betraying his morals/dignity?

PS: It was definitely heartening to read some positive responses and understand what is happening in the scene around despite all the infighting. I sincerely hope this brings a closure.

Admin, please lock this thread if this still goes out of hand.

Dear hacky
We will continue to leave this thread open, as we foresee you will be getting many a response in a Positive Manner here over at Soft after your invaluable clarification here and that’s good.

Yes – this Thread have generated quite a lot of awareness here and there but it’s all good, now that it’s clear, and rest assured we will “ LOCKED “ this Thread in case it really goes way out of hand..

Have A Great Day Everyone & we will be monitoring this thread here ….. Be Nice & Have Fun.

Hacky, I'm not a professional nor even a part-time performer. Music is a hobby of mine. If your original post deeply offended me, which it did, imagine the hurt felt by those earning a living making music. The aspiring musicians too.

Your last post appear to be a feeble attempt at expressing an apology. Your explanations are not convincing nor does it appear to be sincere. And asking that the thread be "locked" if "it gets out of hand" - what are you thinking, man? Don't you know this forum is open to the public? And blaming trolls for the error of your ways? Don't run away from the ugly situation you created.

Personally, I give you the benefit of doubt. I also suggest that you say no more. Otherwise you may need some willing musicians to help you get your foot out of your mouth more than you need them to provide free music.

Back