Soundproofing from door to door?

GDPunkRock

hi guys. I need advice on soundproofing my bedroom's door as my brother (opposite room) complains about noise whenever I do my vocal practice at home. I practice at least 2-3 hrs daily and he's currently studying for Uni so you can see where this could cause an unhappiness.

I have tried working around his schedule(singing while he's at school) but it is not very consistent because of our own personal plans occasionally and it also leaves public holidays and weekends out for me because he'd be home the entire day and I can't get any practice in.

So now I'm looking to a more permanent solution that is to at least soundproof between our doors. I live in an old 5 room hub flat so we have the standard wooden doors. What I'm thinking is to get maybe a carpet rolled up to wedge between the door and floor while I practice, as well as maybe find a way to hang a curtain right in front of my door to minimise sound travel. Will these solutions work? Or better methods are welcome!

JaneNg

May I know if you have used their product or service before?

Soundproofing a room is not cheap cos it require mass to stop the sound (mainly bass frequencies). Many people lay their walls with absorption foam but that only helps mildly.

In terms of the door, you need a specially constructed acoustic door (just like mine)...it helps, though not the perfect solution as our hdb door frame can only support a certain amount of door weight.

Back