Semi Gloss Custom Polished Finish

wisewx

Hi! I have a Simon & Patrick Woodland Cedar A3, and it has a semi-gloss custom polished finish. Thinking of practising some good guitar care, so hope you guys can give some advices on how to clean and maintain this guitar. Thank you!:p

Really, the best thing you can do is wipe your guitar down with a micro-fiber cloth after playing it.
A little carnauba wax on the body is probably ok once in a great while. Some people say avoid stuff with silicone as it can cause “fish eye” on refin, I don’t worry about it. I use a dab of bore oil on the fretboard sometimes.
Also a little wax on metal parts such as tuners may prevent oxidizing.

As what LaoWai said, a microfiber cloth works really well.

But do not use the same cloth for wiping strings and the body as you're bound to scratch the body finish.

I do use Carnauba Wax once in awhile, really gives it that "new guitar" look. It fills out some light scratches too.

I'd recommend a wax free guitar polish if you want to maintain that same semi gloss sheen for your instrument and only use carnauba wax if you want to get that really high gloss finish. Microfiber cloth as mentioned above.

Silicone based polishes are only risky on nitrocellulose based finishes as they could react with the finish and leave permanent stains/marks especially if left on too long or if the finish is weather checked.

Back