Review on Ibanez RG655 Prestige -Help!

binghan1996

Hello guys, i'm considering buying a new guitar and one of the guitars i have in mind is the Ibanez RG655 Prestige, would you guys mind providing me a few suggestions or any feedback on whether if it's a good guitar to buy, plus it comes with the Original ibanez egde tremolo so yeah, thanks! :)

Yup, i tried it at swee lee a few weeks back, i'm pretty okay with the wizard neck, my other alternative would be ibanez rg2570, but the rg2570 having the Edge zero tremolo compared the the rg655 with the original edge, i'm pretty clueless about the ibanez rg line due to the vast amount of rg models released, i've probably narrowed it down to RG655 Or RG2570

Last edited:
yea the rg655 would probably be a better fit. ever considered any superstrats from other brands? i used to play many ibbys but i just grew out of that thin neck phase.

oh, thanks man for the recommendation! :) , Just wondering why is the rg655 better than the rg2570??
i'm personally unfamiliar with other superstrats, i heard i wouldn't mind an ESP M II but Davis guitar doesn't stock them up anymore plus i would want a guitar which will allow shredding easily with the thin necks haha

Last edited:
real dimarzio pickups, the edge bridge mainly. you don't need super thin necks to shred man! in fact i find it harder now!

Hmm guys, is the Ibanez RG2550Z any better than the RG655? the pickups are the same and the only difference is the neck and the bride

I will go for the RG655 because of the Edge trem. If the edge trem is worn out, u can replace them with gotoh floyd or edge trem. For Rg2550Z you can only replace the bridge with edge zero.

Hmm guys, is the Ibanez RG2550Z any better than the RG655? the pickups are the same and the only difference is the neck and the bride

I've always told friends that there is no 'better', it's purely subjective. I was gonna do a formal review of the RG655 since trying it at Swee Lee some time back but he he... it's still in the works. will link it here when that happens.

Back to the 655- how does it compare to the other Prestige models? 655 & some other 6xx series are special edition by ibanez namely because these models feature the Super Wizard neck profile + Ibanez Edge bridge while being in the lower tier of the Prestige range. Do note that the SW neck profile is the manufacturer's thinnest on offer & not the standard feature in all the Prestige guitars. A quick summary of the Prestige features as they go up the tier:

RG1XXX- entry level Prestige models, EZ bridge (discontinued as at time of this entry, some still available @ Swee Lee)

RG2XXX- as per 1XXX but sporting DiMarzio Ibz pickups, EZ bridge

RG3XXX- highest in the series, Dimarzio pickups, recently featuring mahogany body (used to be American Basswood), EZ bridge

On a personal note, the DL Edge bridges or any of its derivatives are only as good as your embrace, if it's not your thing, do consider fixed bridge models.

I have the rg655 as well as a few rg2xxxs.

The rg655 is nice but quality wise feels a notch down. The neck is super thin which imo is less stable than the thicker rg2xxxx necks.

The inlays and bindings on the rg2xxxx also adds to the looks.

The EZ is a better trem imo too.

So if i had to sell an ibanez.. the rg655 will be first to go...

Hope that explains.

Thanks for the replies guys! i'm more concerned about tuning stability haha, my main type of songs are probably Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, still can't decide on which to purchase

Thanks for the replies guys! i'm more concerned about tuning stability haha, my main type of songs are probably Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, still can't decide on which to purchase

The Edge Zero with the ZPS installed is way more stable. They never seem to go out of tune even under heavy abuse.

The original Edge is a more free floating design and of course will not be as stable. However, it flutters very nicely so if that is your thing then I guess its a better option.

Of course you can remove the ZPS in a Edge Zero to make it flutter but it just does not seem to do it as well as the original Edge.

Back