What Audio Interface to buy especailly for BASS guitar / Mic

GasCrazy

Hi Fellow Softies

I am surrently using a Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLz9xrj6d4E&hl=en-GB&gl=SG

I think I wish to upgrade to somethig better.

Can anyone please advice what brand I should be looking for to record my bass and to hear my bass ( HeadPhone) ?
The Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface cannot produce the sound the I want hear even though I have tried to pedals, etc.
I am using the Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface to connect to garage band ( Imac ).

My bass is a high end bass with active and passive pick up , yet the active sound is no diffrence from passive.
I am getting low grade sound for my bass.

I am looking at a budget of between $200- $300 ( Will go higher if the brand can really give me what I want )

Btw , I am new to music software and into making my own music with Imac.
So please forgive me if I talk no sense to you.

Thank you all in advance.

active or passive the sound is still mainly "pickup" (or DI "Direct Input" sound) , so it explains the "no difference"

my only concern is despite maxing out your budget of $300, it only aims to disappoint. so I'm going to ask some detailed questions here..

the big question here is "what sound do you want? what sound is this reference to?" is it a realistic tone which can be shaped through your Bass > pedals > amp like how you would hear it live when playing?

or it's one of those killer favourite thousands of dollars studio recordings which sounds like Bass > Pedals > Amp #1,2,3> mic 1,2,3,4,5 in a treated recording room > recorded in high quality audio/tape > mix mix mix eq eq eq reverb reverb reverb compression > mastering > a team of recording/mixing/mastering/producers ears overseeing the production with months of time.

active or passive the sound is still mainly "pickup" (or DI "Direct Input" sound) , so it explains the "no difference"

my only concern is despite maxing out your budget of $300, it only aims to disappoint. so I'm going to ask some detailed questions here..

the big question here is "what sound do you want? what sound is this reference to?" is it a realistic tone which can be shaped through your Bass > pedals > amp like how you would hear it live when playing?

or it's one of those killer favourite thousands of dollars studio recordings which sounds like Bass > Pedals > Amp #1,2,3> mic 1,2,3,4,5 in a treated recording room > recorded in high quality audio/tape > mix mix mix eq eq eq reverb reverb reverb compression > mastering > a team of recording/mixing/mastering/producers ears overseeing the production with months of time.

Spot on, buddy :p!

Actually for most of us ... Native Instruments Guitar Rigs should suffice ... but you should buy the highest resolution "DI" e.g.. 192khz /24 bits or the highest you can afford...

I disagree with that. you're going to record at a high powered cost (CPU/HDD/RAM ratio) of 192khz/24bit only to use NI Guitar Rig? it's like saying recording at 5.6mhz DSD 1bit ( http://www.korg.com/us/products/drs/mr_2000s/ ) will give you a better sound. 24/48khz will be good enough. even i work fine with 16/44. with $300+, won't have much of a difference from threadstarter's original Steinberg CI1 USB. he'd be better off getting a decent bass amp / microphone and recording it in.

Bro, that's what I've said. Read my reply above again.. Btw, i am using a Behringer Eurorack MX802A Analog Mixer and also a Yamaha MOX6 (44.1khz/16 bits) which comes with built-in DI + Effects & USB connections.. I thinks it's quite good.

But again, if you could afford higher quality sound cards/box . i think it's worth to go for it.. for sure you can mix better with it.

Last edited:
Back