HELP! Pt. 2 Where To Get This ?

Merry Gentleman

Hi Guys, Please Help.

Got problem with my Pignose PGG257 push pull/Vol & Tone pot.

http://www.playawayguitars.com/play_away_guitars_shop.php?itemID=1349

I can't make it stay at 'ON' because at pull(ON) position, it exceeded the 'band' (?) and so, no output.
I had to push it back a little to get it works, but most of the time, it spring up again and so no output.
I took the pot out of the body and spray it with contact cleaner a few time (in various position to let any debris flow out).
This does work all the time but it will only last for about 10 push/pull or less b4 it back to square one again.

Googled our local RS online but can't search this item. Also, there's no value or marking on the pot.

Anyone know where I can get a new pot for this damn SHIOK guitar? Heeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllpppppppppp

It's linked to a 9V battery and a mini rail humbucker and a build-in 4" speaker (pls see link for more description)

20150825_090834.jpg

20150821_153531.jpg

20150821_153634.jpg

20150821_153643.jpg

20150821_153750.jpg

Use a multimeter to measure the value of the pot across the 2 ring circle in red on the pic. Once the value is know, can ask around the guitar shops around penin/exclesior for similar value push pull pot or through online guitar related site for purchase. When measuring the value, it wont be accurate usually due to tolerance difference, so can just get the nearest, higher value(compared to the original pot actual resistance after measuring)) pp pot as sub.

This style of pp pot usually used for guitar purposes. It will be easier to find replacement via guitar related sites/shops over rscomp/element14.

Attachments

• 20150821_153643.jpg
    20150821_153643.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 217
Thanks for the big tip bro.

Confirm can't find in RS and knobs also appears when I do a search. Can't find much in Element14 too.

One last Q, where do I tweak on the dial of the multi-meter?

Thank you once again :p

Thanks for the reply, man.

Got a fren to help, according to him the reading is 150k ohms.

20150826_140516.jpg

I might be selling abt 5$ or less if I can find it in SL Tower but he throw me a link if those who are interested the have it in the other SL too, if you get my drift :)

20150826_213650.jpg

But it is 200K and according to this fren of mine, it might give me more volume but less overdrive. OR WAS IT THE OTHER WAY ROUND ????

Please advice for those who know. Thank You

the setting on the meter is at 20kohm maximum range. From the reading, the actual pot value is 13.76kohm. The required pot should be a 15kohm push pull pot.

Bad news is that 15kohm pp pot seem not a common value. Not too sure if can find it locally or online.

If using a high value pot, the overall tone will probably be much brighter than the default pot and somewhat noisier at high gain setting.

There is another alternative though,much more cheaper, but will need to drill a small hole in the pickguard to house a dpdt toggle switch, connected to a normal, non push pull pot. The idea is the same as the original push pull pot, except that we separate the switch from the pot, but with the same wiring

Sorry for the late reply, dude. Quite busy lately.

Had discuss this with my fren and will be going this way as your proposal.

They do have 10 & 20K volume pot in Space electronics SLT's basement. But the threaded stem might be a bit short for tightening, but it will definitely be OK with thin instruments front panel.
Maybe need some modification on the guitar body.

Thanks again man.

20150828_075234.jpg

Hi.
I just was wondering if the connecting wires were disconnected prior to the resistance measurement. The circuit may have been a part of the measurement. I've noticed that some of the pots have the rating on the bottom part where your push-pull switch is attached.

thats a valid point of concern too. When measuring the resistance of the pot, most likely we can take it at the point where we solder the wires to. As for why it was mentioned earlier on taking the measurement at that 2 circular point, that has to do with how the pot is internally.

If to open up the pot, there will be a carbon ring within. This carbon ring is the one that determined the entire/exact resistance value of the pot. At either end of the carbon ring, it is electrically linked directly to the 2 circular rings. Thus, measurement taken at these 2 points will show the precise resistance value of the pot, before any connection to else where, which might affect the reading. Most of the pots available in the market, be it for guitaring or general purposes, there will be some tolerance differences of plus minus 5 to 10% or more.Thus if needing the exact value of the pot, can take it from the 2 circular points directly

Oh yeah, another interesting but most probably not done thing(coz its not the "usual" way of doing thing) is that having the 3 circular points on the pot and the normal 3 soldering points for wiring on a pot, one can actually have 2 sets of soldering points. Which in time of soldering mistake, can actually save the time, without needing a new pot.

Wow, you two are real pro bros.

Anyway, It's re-measured and its 250K confirmed.
My fren ordered the part from SL yesterday. Heard they will deliver anything 10$ n above for free.
Thank you guys. I'll update once it's repaired.
:p

By the way, I emailed the Pignose Gorilla guys and they suggested a 500k somehow. Anyway, best wishes with the replacement of the potentiometer. Hope your portable rig springs back to life and is better than before. Usually I buy the potentiometers from TYMC and SV Guitars.
They do have the dual concentric potentiometers. Where you have two potentiometers stacked on top of one another... So you can control both parameters individually. Have never tried the Pignose guitars... So I am not too sure as to how the tone and volume combo co-relates to one another in the parameter controls.

Last edited:
Wah. Chim ah...
A bit liah boh giu leow.

Anyway, it's in the hand of my electronics savvy friends and hope to get it back this week :)
But crossing my fingers though :D

Sori for the late reply bro. very very busy lately. new boss = new broom that wanna sweep clean. I'll keep in mind of your work. anyway I have 4 of these guitars with inbuilt amp. :p

4? Woah... For portability, I've ended up collecting micro amps, have tried numerous battery operated amps. Never tried a PG guitar. Hopefully one day I may get one of them. For now... There are holes in my pockets... All of them... Ha ha ha.... If you need any micro amps, so let me know. Am clearing up gear as well.

Thanks dude. But I think you should mount one of your micro amps or in 1 of your electric guitar. That would be interesting and very convenient to lug and play around in or outdoor. :p

Then I won't be able to use it on the others. Think I'm a tad greedy... I like the variety of all my guitars. Then a choice of a few micro amps...

Back