Bass Amplug into Guitar amp's aux input?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of picking up bass for fun. I have a vox mini5 at home alr, and will have no space for another amp. Can I just get a bass amplug and plug it into the aux in(the part where you plug in your mp3 player)?

I totally already understand that plugging in a bass into a guitar amp will damage the cone, but will it damage the cone if its plugged into the aux instead? To me the logic is like what if a play a bass solo mp3 thru the aux, it wont damage the guitar amp right? So, is using amplug's headphone output to the guitar amp's aux the same theory?

and i dont have to have a full bass sound. if this doesnt work then im gonna just get the vox rhythm bass battery amp.

thanks

Hi! Just want to give my opinion based on experience. I'm currently playing my bass through a Roland Micro Cube - plugged directly instead of via aux in.
At the beginning I had some reservations about doing that - but after searching through some forums, the general conclusion I got is that as long as you don't push the amp, it will be fine. I normally play at very low volumes anyway avoid disturbing other inhabitants of the house.
Think of it this way: the amp has an aux in, so it is obviously engineered to play music through the speaker. Such music obviously has bass in it. Therefore, the amp should have the ability to play low frequency tones over extended period of time without permanent damage, provided that we don't push it too far.

Hi. thanks for your input and great to know that i dont need another amp :) anyway, how long have you been playing your bass thru your cube? thanks

Plugging my bass into the Micro Cube for more than 1 year now - Cube still works fine. But to be honest my usage is not that high because I often practice unplugged. I've considered getting a decent-sized bass amp for some time but haven't really decided the right balance between power and portability, so I just stuck with my Cube.

You can actually plug directly into your guitar amp. Regulate the volume so that it won't blow out your speakers. The main difference is, thru the guitar amp, you won't get the bottom end from a bass amp. Also, a guitar amp will colour your tone as bass amps tend to be more transparent sounding. Just my two cents from previous experience. Hope this helps.

Back