should i get a new amp?

noobkerpal

ive been using a marshall mg15 for like the past 5 years, but its starting to die(knobs dont work sometimes)

i was looking at amps like vox pathfinder 15 , or the AC15, just a good home use amp, but im not sure if it will be worth it since my marshall actually not that bad, just that the overdrive sound very saturated and farty(?).

so im looking to get a more organic and vintage tone that isnt muddy and has a crisp, bright and jangly OD/clean. something along the lines of an AC30 i guess?

not really much of a hard rocker/metal guy. so what would you guy recommend i get?

Last edited:
Getting a new amp is always a nice step forward in the pursuit of the sound in your head.

10 years ago I was in the same position: was using a Marshall MG15CDR, then shifted to a Vox Pathfinder 15R with little regrets only because I was only trying to improve on my playing at home. I was, back then, primarily using pedals to achieve distortion.

So the questions are simple:

- what is your budget?
- what genres are you going for / which bands are you trying to emulate, if at all?
- if you do use distortion, would you use the amp distortion or pedals?
- what guitar are you using at the moment?

Pairing up gear is something that may involve some element of trial and error.

I would encourage you to google up some amps in your budget range and then do some reviews. It will be worth your time to do your homework before spending.

Good luck man!

I second the AC4C1.

There are solid state amps and tube amps. A 5W tube amp is going to be a couple times louder than a 5W solid state. I have personally found 1W tube too loud for my room if you want gain, an AC4C1 lets you adjust master volume so you can get both cleans and dirt at a reasonable volume.

It is also pretty small and portable, try and aim for the AC4C1-12 (12" speaker, or AC4C1-10, 10" speaker) for bigger sound.

hey guys, thinking of getting Fender Deluxe Reverb (65 reissue) or 68 reissue, Twin Reverb. I really love the sound, but not sure if it's too big for HDB ???

hey guys, thinking of getting Fender Deluxe Reverb (65 reissue) or 68 reissue, Twin Reverb. I really love the sound, but not sure if it's too big for HDB ???

It's a tube amp, so if you plan to crank it to get the power tube saturation, yes it will be too loud. Even a 5 watt is loud when cranked for the power tubes.

If you plan to get preamp/pedal overdrive, then it should not be an issue since you don't need to crank it to get the amp's natural overdrive.

Lol, I made that mistake. I bought a 6505+ 112 combo, thinking, oh it won’t be too loud, just breathe on the volume and birds fall from the sky. I’m searching bedroom tube amp too

Hi all,
I tried the black star ID tvp series, very nice sounding and you can switch off the valve emulation if you think it's too loud. It can be played at volume 9 o'clock without being too loud.

how about THR10C from Yamaha? i am deciding now between Yamaha THR10C vs VOX4C-BL

You're comparing an overpriced modeling amp from yamaha to a real tube amp ? If you can get the THR10C cheaper than the AC4 then it might be a good deal, but real tube tone and feel is still from an AC4.

Vox's Night Train combo- you should consider this if you wish for a good tube clean + a little angry OD when you feel like it. The amp accepts pedals well so that might be a bonus consideration.

In the mean time, lots of good Blackstar selection for home applications as well. Do take time to check them out.

Back