Shipping Guitars and Amps Overseas

Trinidax

Hey everyone,

I'll be moving to London for university for the next few years, and I wish to take my electric guitar and amp with me. I'm flying SIA premium economy, but I highly doubt they'll let me take a guitar on board with me (their website states that oversized instruments will require the passenger buy another seat), and I'm quite against the thought of checking in a guitar (United breaks guitars, anyone?).

I have a flight case for the guitar, a black, rectangular SKB one that came with it (a 2002 Jackson SL2H). My parents tell me that I should ship the guitar together with the amp (a ceriatone SC30 + 2x12 cab), and just buy insurance for them. The thing is that my guitar has quite a bit of damage to it due to a previous fall (cracks running along the body) so I'm not quite sure how insurance would work in that case, and if they will even insure such an item.

Has anyone had any experience with this kinda thing before? Any recommendations for couriers to use and such? Thank you all in advance for the help! :)

when I went to london I checked in my guitar. I use reunion blues continental case, the fender version but the reunion blues version will work also because it's the same built. So far I've brought that to london and back to singapore and to myanmar and back, so far so good.

Wow! Aren't you afraid of them damaging your guitar? Or case for that matter? My guitar already has previous injury (and it's pretty bad, but still playable) so I'm not sure if it can take much abuse haha.

Is your guitar a bolt-on? I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but mine is a neck thru and I'd think bolt-ons should be able to take more abuse?

Thanks for the reply! :)

Back