New drummer seeking acoustic drum kit

niicholaszy

I am a newbie drummer, seeking for an acoustic drum set, kinda tight on budget tho. Doesn't mind a second hand, let me know if you have a recommendation.

You didn't give any information at all! How are we supposed to help?

What's your budget? And preference for colour, brand? What kind of wood do you like?

If you don't care for details, I personally like Tama Swingstar. Crush Alpha drumset looks pretty good and the entry-level gretsch (was it blackhawk?) also is pretty good. You can find them new from $700-1000 or secondhand from $300-500. Stick around on soft or carousell and you should find one soon.

Hi, sorry I wasn't clear. I am looking for a basic set (probably a 5 piece) with the budget of 300 - 400SGD max due to budget constraints, I don't mind second hand as long as they are still playable. Not particular about brands or cosmetic condition yet, I just want to get started with drumming.

Congrats on picking up the drums!

I'll get ya a little information on the different beginner level kits in the market now. Talk about brands, there's big names like Tama, Pearl and Yamaha that carry popular budget kits. There's also more obscure brands like Lazer and Carlos that are probably china-made, correct me if I'm wrong. These kits are usually made with hardwoods, basswood or perhaps poplar. The shells are usually color wrapped and come in white, black or red with some series offering more finishes. They don't sound as good as studio kits definitely but do just well for beginners for practising at home.

These are different series from the above mentioned brands that might fit your budget:
Pearl Target
Pearl Rhythm Traveler
Pearl Export
Tama Swingstar
Tama Imperialstar
Tama Stagestar
Yamaha Gigmaker

With a budget of 300-400SGD, I doubt you'll be able to land these mentioned kits first hand but you might be able to get them secondhand off the classified section on SOFT or on Carousell. The Pearl Rhythm Traveler is a smaller-sized kit that would fit into your room if you have space constraint. The other kits are standard sized kits. Since you aren't very fussy about the brand or shell material, just keep hunting on the classified section or on Carousell and if a kit whatever the brand or series, comes your way, go for it!

Things to note when you're getting a kit secondhand, check the condition and make sure it works for you. Make sure no tension rods/screws/parts are missing else you're gonna trouble yourself getting them replaced. Some things can easily be replaced while some might be a little tough to find. Things like cymbal stands, cymbals and pedals that come with the kit would help to make your life easier and you can get to practice immediately instead of buying them separately.

Do your research, look at pictures and videos and understand the parts of the kit before viewing a kit and getting it!

I hope I've made things clearer for you and set you in the right direction.
All the best and have fun!

Last edited:
Back