To Buy Zoom H5 or H6?

Quality / Money / Features , Zoom has been performing great ever since the first release of their Zoom H4. I've owned Zoom H4,H2,H1,R16,Q2HD,Q3HD and would grab any new Zoom toys but I had to outgrow and move on to higher end audio interface when the opportunity came knockin. I still own the Zoom H1 though. love it!

the difference between the H5 and H6 mainly it's $200+/- difference and you're paying $100 per simultaneous track support. so one records 4 tracks simultaneously, the other goes up to 6 tracks for more flexibility/upgradability.

if you want to get a great multi drumtrack from a light weight setup I could imagine,
Zoom H6 (on a mic stand as overheads #1,2) , #3-snare,#4-kick,#5-tom,#6-tom. got lots of toms? #5,6 = submixer (pan it well!) to more toms. but I'd just sandwich the #5tom mic in between the left/right tom.

want a easy demo recording? #1,2 = drumoverheads , #3-put a mic on a cloth on the kickdrum facing the drummer's crotch. yes it's the crotch-mic technique. #4-guitar,#5-bass,#6-vocals (or if you have another guitarist. make it so. then vocals layer it when at home using the zoom's onboard stereo mic)

but if you want bigger than this, then i recommend getting a 2nd hand zoom r16 (i bought mine for $500 in 2009, sold last year for $280) or zoom r24

so big question is, what do you intend to record/do/accomplish with it?

Hi Bro.
Thanks for your advice. My application is to get a portable recorder for moving around but should have good sound reproduction when connect to an amplifier. I have a Tascam DR07 mk2. But reproduction through a earpiece is quite alright but when reproduced through an amplifier is poor.

sometimes live concert, sometimes ktv, karaoke rooms. I have a room setup consists of BMB DA J7mk2 with Yamaha MX55 power amp into 4 x bmb csv252 hanging speakers and 2x bmb subwoofer. Room is undampened though. Not for business but leisure anyway.

Can you post a sample recording using Dropbox or box.com

What could contribute to the inaccuracy is the mic placement when you record, and of course mics can't replace ears, you get what you pay for there.. Then followed by additional colouration by the bmb speakers (I've always felt karaoke speakers lack a lot of mids and very sharp when I'm at Ktv.)

Get the Zoom H6. You can record up to 96k if I'm not mistaken.
If you're recording a guitar amp. It will be a good investment for you if you get a Shure SM57.
Mic your amp out and adjust the gain on the H6 accordingly.
It should sound good enough (and clean too).

p/s: this is just my 2 cents ya..

for recording specifically guitar amps.. what I would do is use the onboard condenser (err electret? not sure what they're called) mics record from a distance as room stereo mic, then dynamic mic like shure sm57 mike up close on the speaker cone, and combine them in postproduction. got the meat, the punch and the bite from the condensers. since you can input more stuff, go ahead and go crazy/experiment with whatever mics you got for a better tone.

No need use 96k. It wont make the sound better. It is more useful for sound engineer to process effects in the mixing stage.

Since you already have the DR07, you should get good recordings. Try positioning the recorder farther away from the source you are recording if the signal is very loud. Also adjust the GAIN setting and monitor using a headphone.

Back