Strumming sounds harsh

Plim

Advice needed please. Started learning acoustic guitar a couple of months back but strumming sounds harsh when recorded . Was told that practising would help and it will sound better over time but am worried if its due to technique like the way I hold my pick, the way I strum etc.

Any advice/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Advice needed please. Started learning acoustic guitar a couple of months back but strumming sounds harsh when recorded . Was told that practising would help and it will sound better over time but am worried if its due to technique like the way I hold my pick, the way I strum etc.

Any advice/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Try using a light/flexible pick at first and focus on just repeating simple rhythmic patterns. The light pick will help you brush over the strings and not get caught on a string and be uneven in time. Or get a shaker and practice your rhythmic patterns with your strumming arm and the shaker. Listen if you sound out of time using the shaker. If you are in time using the shaker you will most likely be in time using a pick once you learn how to brush over the strings. When you become more confident with your timing and holding a pick you can graduate to heavier picks or try just using your fingers. All options present different tone/expressive opportunities.

Try using a light/flexible pick at first and focus on just repeating simple rhythmic patterns. The light pick will help you brush over the strings and not get caught on a string and be uneven in time. Or get a shaker and practice your rhythmic patterns with your strumming arm and the shaker. Listen if you sound out of time using the shaker. If you are in time using the shaker you will most likely be in time using a pick once you learn how to brush over the strings. When you become more confident with your timing and holding a pick you can graduate to heavier picks or try just using your fingers. All options present different tone/expressive opportunities.

It's not the timing that's the problem. It's just that the strumming sounds stiff.

It's not the timing that's the problem. It's just that the strumming sounds stiff.

Stiff or not is actually a matter of timing as much as technique. Loosen up your arm and wrist, hold the pick at an angle to the strings, and use a light pick. Try "raking" across the chord on your first down beat stroke, as well.

i just have to clarify ..

1. you said it sounds harsh when recorded.. how about when not recording? does it sound clean? meaning the harsh sound can be from recording stuff.. if the sound is harsh "live" of course it will sound that way when recorded..

2. does your chord sound clean when strummed once? .. cos if you dont press the strings with right amount of pressure it will sound "harsh" even with just a single brush of strum

press your finger as close to the center of the fret or closer fretwire, and put enough pressure, dont press too hard

get a Medium pick, slant it and brush your way downward stroke, and dont let the pick get "in" the string, slant the pick the other way when strumming upstroke,

dont strum too hard unless you want loud sound

strum in front of the soundhole, unless you want a twangy "harsh" sound, then strum closer to the bridge

hope this helps..

i just have to clarify ..

1. you said it sounds harsh when recorded.. how about when not recording? does it sound clean? meaning the harsh sound can be from recording stuff.. if the sound is harsh "live" of course it will sound that way when recorded..

2. does your chord sound clean when strummed once? .. cos if you dont press the strings with right amount of pressure it will sound "harsh" even with just a single brush of strum

press your finger as close to the center of the fret or closer fretwire, and put enough pressure, dont press too hard

get a Medium pick, slant it and brush your way downward stroke, and dont let the pick get "in" the string, slant the pick the other way when strumming upstroke,

dont strum too hard unless you want loud sound

strum in front of the soundhole, unless you want a twangy "harsh" sound, then strum closer to the bridge

hope this helps..

Sad to say not all notes are clean, am still a novice but will keep on practising. :)

When the strumming is not recorded, it actually sounds pretty ok.

This might sound noobish but what is considered a medium pick? I'm using a .6mm at the moment.

I'm trying to strum closer to the neck, heard these will make the strumming sound nicer.

Before I forget, thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated! :)

Loosen your wrist and try using picks of different materials/thickness. I typically go for medium picks (say 0.73mm/0.8mm). And strum around the different areas for dynamic playing (closer/further to the soundhole)

Loosen your wrist and try using picks of different materials/thickness. I typically go for medium picks (say 0.73mm/0.8mm). And strum around the different areas for dynamic playing (closer/further to the soundhole)

Will try as recommended, thanks. :)

Back