help! dead keys on my keyboard

victt

Hi Softies, i have a Kurzweil Sp4-7 which have a couple of dead keys (no sound on some keys). The keyboard is seldom played and well taken care of, i've sent it to the local distributor for a check and was told it requires a full engine board replacement which will cost 600 bucks. Will appreciate if anyone have encountered such a problem and how to resolve? I've check online, seemed to me that its pretty common and usually only requires contact cleaning etc.

Thank you for reading

Yes it is a common problem with keyboards that use Fatar parts. So why don't u try to open up the keyboard, dismantle the keybed and clean the contacts?

Yes it is a common problem with keyboards that use Fatar parts. So why don't u try to open up the keyboard, dismantle the keybed and clean the contacts?

Hi Ian, many thanks for your reply. The local distributor tried contact cleaning and reformatting the software, but the dead keys remained. They suspect its a faulty engine and interface board, which requires 900 for replacement.

ive checked Kurweil's webpage and it shows SP4-7 use the Medeli KB76FPU keybed. Nevertheless, is this a good video for me to DIY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91GIhz5TbZQ

Yeah that video looks helpful, although you may not necessarily need to remove all the rubber pads, just identify the malfunctioning note and zoom in to the rubber pad that corresponds to that note. One rubber pad for one note, u just need to manually count your way to the correct one. Remember to work in a clean environment and switch off any fan or aircon - you certainly don't want dust blowing around and getting into the rubber contacts.

Medeli keys? that might be a real problem then, most probably an inferior quality keybed compared to Fatar. To be sure, I suggest you open up and clean the contacts yourself using a q-tip. There's every reason to doubt that the service center actually did it unless you saw them doing it in front of you. If the problem lies in the key-contact PCB, then you would only need to replace the key-contact PCB and not the synth motherboard. A typical key-contact PCB only costs $75 USD - I imagine that the $900 they want to charge you is for the synth motherboard, which in this case would NOT help if the problem really lay in the key-contact PCB.

Last edited:
Back