How to record drumkit sound sync with music track into one video..help pls

jamesdorigo

My son has a home drumkit set. He wishes to record the video and post online.

When I record with normal hp cam or video cam, the sound is awful.

How do I record the sound properly like I see on you tube etc. What do I need? Is there a place I can record and pay for it?

Hi!

I'm assuming ur son's drumkit is an acoustic one and not electric? If it is an acoustic one to record it professionally it's pretty complicated, basically you need to have a few different mics (snare, kick, overheads etc)... A cheaper alternative which I would recommend is to get a simple recorder like a Zoom (H1, H2n, H4n), which will give you a pretty decent sound for a decent price.. if you want video AND audio a Zoom Q3HD might be good. If you don't want to buy a mic maybe you can tweak the settings/position of ur vid cam? From what I know cameras these days have pretty decent audio recorders.. even using an Iphone is pretty decent! Maybe there's a reason why the sound is awful (drums not tuned, audio recorder input settings set too high, camera placed too close to the drumset...?).. Anyway have your son play the song using earphones, then sync the song, recorded drums, and video using free programs like iMovie. That'll be how I'll do it.

There are plenty of Youtube tutorials detailing how to record drums actually, you might wanna check out some of them. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvorcWZ7-4w

Last edited:
Alternatively if you wanna record directly into ur comp you can use Garageband/Audacity to play the song and record the drums at the same time, thus saving u the hassle of having to sync the song and the recorded drums later, but for that you'll need an audio interface (If you get the Zoom recorders I know the h4n and h2n doubles as an audio interface.. you can go google which recorder can do that.)

Back