Tuner posts pulled out of headstock by string tension?

bboots

Hi all, recently noticed 5 of the 6 tuner posts coming off the headstock of varying degree. Is this a cause for concern? Anyway to fix this since there are no nut on top to tighten in this case? Thanks.

p5HsMa3.jpg

Seems like an issue with a cheap and low quality construction.

There should be a nut/washer to hold it in place

What brand is your guitar? You can just push them back in, but it'll happen again. Glue?

It's a epiphone lp upgraded with wilkinson tuners. I'm concerned if it happens over again, the holes in the headstock might get enlarged over time.

Seems like an issue with a cheap and low quality construction.

There should be a nut/washer to hold it in place

Seems it's the wilkinson tuners design problem as they come without the nut/washer but the original tuners seems to have them though based on pics. Isn't the wilkinson supposed to be the better quality than the stock ones?

I bought the guitar used and it comes with it already, so I don't have the stock to change back to.

Yup since you bought it used, the previous owner might have upgraded it himself without doing it properly, or this Wilkinson comes without nut/washers I don't know.

Either way, you should get it fixed yourself by adding in the nut/washers or just bring it to a tech to have it looked at.

Hi all, recently noticed 5 of the 6 tuner posts coming off the headstock of varying degree. Is this a cause for concern? Anyway to fix this since there are no nut on top to tighten in this case? Thanks.

p5HsMa3.jpg

From the image, it looks like the tuner rings (washers) are too loose for the existing holes.
The posts are attached to the gear and should not come off.
What you can do is to remove all the tuners and refit the rings securely over the holes.
This can be done either by tiny drops of glue or using fine tapes to increase the diameter of the ring shaft.
Hope that helps....:)

From the image, it looks like the tuner rings (washers) are too loose for the existing holes.
The posts are attached to the gear and should not come off.
What you can do is to remove all the tuners and refit the rings securely over the holes.
This can be done either by tiny drops of glue or using fine tapes to increase the diameter of the ring shaft.
Hope that helps....:)

My apologies.............the correct term for those rings/washers should be "bushings":p

Back