Popping noise from guitar amp when switching on/off lights

Hello everyone,

I have been having this problem of popping noises from guitar amp when switching on/off lights. All of the light switches in my house seem to affect my amp, and sometimes my computer speakers as well. I believe it is the fault of the electrical circuit in my house. My amp also makes the popping sounds when there is lightning nearby as well

Has anybody encountered a similar issue? Could somebody enlighten me?

Thank you

on a not so similar note: happens to my samsung LED Tv too. I've shifted house several times already (2 HDB, 2 condo) so it can't be because of the house wiring.

I don't have this issue. Are your amps grounded with 3 pin plug?

Even with 2 pin plug i didn't experience this at home but other places yes.

Anyway, it should/could be power spikes from bad power in the house or something.

Just to add that I get increased noise when i switch on any appliance that shares the same power strip as the pedal power supply. (in this case, a EHX-issued 9v power supply used on a Boss SD-1 overdrive).

But this doesn't happen when I use my CIOKS AC10 which is a shielded, regulated, isolated power supply.

You could try buying a simple home power conditioner although I can't be certain, it should prevent power spikes to important equipment.

Yes, all my guitar equipment is 3 pin. I will search up on the power conditioner thing :)

Just to add on, the popping noise also occurs when there is nearby lightning as well.

My old Marshall used to pop like that every time I turned it on or off, regardless where the volume was set at. I played the shìt out of it for 16 years and never damaged anything. Lately, I just figured something out! It was the tremolo/chorus effect built into one of my other amps. When I turned that knob, the speed of the clicking noise changed. When I turned the knob all the way off, it went away. I guess you can just use some chorus effect. Also are you using active pickups?

I tried plugging my guitar straight into the amp, and through my Line 6 Pod HD400. Every setup does the same popping noise when i switched on/off any lights in the house. My computer speakers also pops occasionally, but only very softly.

My pickups are all passive on my 3 guitars. I just have a feeling that the electrical circuit in my house is slightly fried because my dad's hifi system used to keep triggering the circuit breaker. Hmmm.....

if there is something that draws alot of current it could be why that is happening. It maybe a working airconditioner or refrigerator. Try turning them off first. Then see if that happens. If it does then you found the culprit.

Back