critics for my mix

I'm not really experienced in mixing metal tracks, but one thing for sure is the vocals is too soft, the instruments are masking the vocals. Try balancing the vocals against the instruments and maybe add some reverb and delay to taste.

Hey guys I have downloaded the multitrack from cambridge.nt and this is my mix.
critics please! appreciated much!

https://soundcloud.com/chrisamber98/metal-mix-burning-bridge

In general I think it sounds great. Some sections of the sound/mix feels like Lamb of God to me!

Anyways, here is my 2cents:

1. You can improve the depth of the music, I agree with Xeno Jin that the vocals can have abit more "frequency separation" from the guitars. You can consider giving up abit more of the low mids in the guitars.
2. I think for metal music it is lack of "energy". This means managing the lows/low mids, mainly between the bass and the kick. I feel the kick could have abit more "weight & punch" to it. Maybe work around the 90hz to 120hz? (The lack of energy is quite obvious at the quiet part of the mix). I recommend you to mix that part separately
3. At some sections, the snare can be abit louder in the mix and have abit more tone to it. (maybe dial back the compressor?)
4. I am not sure if there is too much compression but the whole mix sounds alittle squash. Or it can be due to the guitars being too loud.
5. I think more can be done to improve the clarity of the mix (mainly in the low-mids and the highs).
6. Although it is a metal song, this song in particular. I feel there is much more dynamics in the music that you can feature, try to listen for that.

My comments are all based on my opinion so I can be talking rubbish here. Just keep mixing and in no time you will be really good at it!! Great job!!

Hey man thanks for the critics! It's been one year and I think I improved quite a bit. Check out my mix too and your 2cents will be greatly appreciated!

Back