Thunderbolt (rMBP) to Firewire (Firepod)

soft

Administrator
Staff member
Just got a rMBP 13" and would like to connect it to my Presonus Firepod. The rMBP has only Thunderbolt and the Firepod is Firewire. Anyone tried something like this before?

Just ordered the Thunderbolt-FW800 connector from Apple Store. Will scout for the FW800 to FW400 cable from Sim Lim Square/Tower.

Will update when I get this working!

It's perfectly fine using this method. The Thunderbolt-FW800 acts as a Firewire interface and the 800-400 firewire adaptor/cable simply just "adapts" it. You'll only get firewire 400 speeds, but that is more than enough~

I use my RME Fireface with this method too~

Yes, forgotten to update that this has worked beautifully. Just that the tiny Thunderbolt connector is kinda weak. Seems so easy to dislodge without any locking contraption.

I can verify that this works with the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 as well, I tried it out awhile back in 2012.

I use the same solution to connect my Fireface 800 to my IMac.works a charm, but I'll note that a FW800-800 cable didn't work. Had to get a FireWire 800-400 cable to get the computer to detect the Fireface.

Back