What is this guitar technique

userid

Hi softies!

I have seen this technique many times and I would like to ask:

1) What is it called
2) How do you do it
3) Do you need special effects or extra distortion or multi effects pedal etc? Cos no matter how I try I can never get it to sound as cool as the videos I see. ie it always sounds wrong when I do it.
4) Do you start from lower or higher frets or doesnt matter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnUpSAsVvMQ

At timings 0:05 and 0:51

Thanks!

There's a few things going on within that duration. Which one are you exactly referring to?

Thanks for replying. The one where he slides his hand quickly from high frets to low frets.

And I think maybe I confused people. At 0:05 specifically and 0:51 it occurs. Not between 0:05 to 0:51

Last edited:
I'm not sure what it's called but I do it all the time. Basically it's just pressing and sliding your fretting finger down the fretboard. Only have to hit once with the pick while sliding your fretting finger. For me it's almost always a slide down in pitch rather than a slide up, but be adventurous. If you like doing it from lower to higher in pitch, then go ahead and do it because it'll set you apart from everyone else.

And no, I don't use any effects or add more distortion. It's like playing all the notes from up to down, but instead of lifting your fretting finger and pressing the next note, you're just sliding it down the frets while pressing.

Last edited:
Usually occurs half or one beat before the the next intended note/chord.

It's a slide from nowhere. Usually from a high to low pitch.

Hi Userid,

I don't know if this thread is going on, but I'm gonna reply anyway and hope what I say will help.

I used to have problems with this technique too. Billie Joe from Green Day uses it a lot in the 21st century breakdown album, and I could never for the life of me get it down for the longest time.

If you observe in the video, the guitar player is always sliding downwards on the fretboard from the 12th fret, to whatever note/power chord he's going to play next. There is a reason for this, because your guitar's fretboard ends/starts at the 12th fret. in the same way that your low E string plays an E note when played open, fretting the low E string at the 12th fret gives you an E note too, albeit in a higher pitch/octave/or whatever its called I dont know but yeah its the same note, just higher.

So, if you're going to achieve this same sound, it helps to keep that in mind, and slide from/to the 12th fret, cos it gives the slide sound a certain character, because you're basing it on the root note of the guitar itself.

Hope that helps. Remember the 12th fret.

Is it easy to learn guitar? How many months it takes to learn?
It's easy to learn, not as easy to play, extremely difficult to master.

With a good teacher and/or a structured learning programme, you should expect to play your first simple 4-chord song in as little as a few weeks to a month, dependent on how dedicated you are to practicing and getting the first few chords down.

Back