Ruined finish - begging for help

makien01

Dear softies,

Please help! Bought Planet Waves Express Guitar Polish pack (contains carnauba wax) to pamper my guitar.

It is a Maestro Equator, Matt finish.

Post polishing, there is a persistent haze that I cannot remove.
I've tried zippo lighter fluid and crazy rubbing - unsuccessful.

Please help me out! What should I use for cleaning off this dreadful haze?

thanks!

Isit under the finish? If it is, I'm guessing there's quite little you can do. Try keeping it in a case with proper humidity conditions. If it is the finish that is becoming hazy, the product might have damaged the finish.

Oh dear! Those products are for gloss/nitro finished guitars I suspect. Matt finish only needs a little lemon oil (like Duck Oil) to do the trick. If the "haze" you are referring to is a permanent feature, it is likely the result of a chemical reaction between the polish and the matt finish of your guitar. Really nothing much you can do about it I'm afraid.

But if the "haze" moves and spreads about as you wipe the affected area, then all is not lost! It means that the chemicals have not penetrated the matt finish yet, and a little lemon oil should clean it up nicely. But do check with your guitar shop what product would be best before going ahead!

All The Best Mate!

Perhaps you could post a photo so we can get a better idea of what happened.

Personally I think matt finishes look great without needing a lot of attention. Most of my guitars are matt-finished and I've never needed to do anything besides wipe the areas where my skin comes in contact with, i.e. the neck and the part of the lower bout that your arm rests on when strumming.

Would advise you to avoid using these kind of chemicals on matt finishes. I suppose most of these are designed for gloss tops considering gloss tops can look kind of icky if they aren't cleaned. Gloss-finished guitars I've owned previously did have me wiping them quite a bit more than my matt guitars.

Did the polish bottle detail if it could be used on matte finishes? I suspect there MIGHT be a warning to not use it on matte finishes, though i've never used that before. I generally don't use individual types of polish/oil for different applications; i personally recommend Dr Duck's Axe Wax and String Lube; its an all-in-one that's never failed me yet for hydrating fretboards, polishing metal parts, most kinds of finishes and even cleaning frets.

Back