Music Theory Books - Guitar

Asutsi

I have developed an interest in understanding music theory after reading about some posts here on SOFT. I want to understand its mechanics and how it's applied in guitar in particular. (How chords are formed from scales, different modes etc, sight reading etc) Nothing technical, just plain theory.

In essence, I want to be able to look at my fretboard, know what I am playing and also understand how and where it is coming from.

After perusing and scouring the internet for what I want, I found some sites where I can procure this information, but many are video lessons with require a subscription of some sort. I decided that I would very much prefer a comprehensive book that will teach me these, as I am fond of diligently reading books I find interesting.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction? Perhaps you can tell me some places where I can find these books, and also maybe suggest to me some books you found rather efficient and well-written.

I understand that Music Theory is rather general, and many books will be written with no specific instrument in mind, but if there is one with regards to guitar, that would be a great bonus.

Thank you for your time. :D

Last edited:
https://www.coursera.org/course/guitar

You might be interested in an online class regarding music theory provided by berklee college of music. I had attended this free course and learned a lot, plus the ability to collaborate with other guitarists all around the world. i would say that the course is sufficient enough to acquire the basics of music theory.

Back