Craftsman GS200 review

jeffrey0603

http://www.citymusic.com.sg/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=355

Specs-
Top & Body - American Alder
Neck- Canadian Hard maple
Fingerboard- Rosewood
Bolt on neck
Ceramic pickups (thats what the salesguy told me)

Got this guitar about half a year ago at CM for $450 with the spider 15watter. Craftsman guitars have getting alot of attention here on SOFT. It is (apparently) City Music's in-house brand. And it is also believed to be building guitars for other big names(epiphones, ibanez) So this is NOT some cheapo SX-esque guitar that you should overlook.

The GS200 feels solid and heavy, it does feel like a authentic les paul. Action on this guitar is very low and the C-neck is very comfy and easy to play on. One gripe though is that my hand gets cut out when i reach the higher frets.

Sound-wise, i would say this is not a guitar for high-gain playing. High gain on the bridge PU sounds way too trebely and harsh. On the bridge it sounds too 'nasally' (thats the best way to describe) However this guitar really shines if you're playing on clean to overdrive-like. It has that bite but not over-treblely on the bridge. And on the neck, you can get some really nice blues-sounding tones.

I would really recommend this guitar to beginners and even intermediates as it is a good guitar for bedroom jamming. If you're planning to gig with it, you might want a change of PU. This guitar is much better than the epiphone les paul special, which has almost the same price.

(i am not sponsered by CM or whatever please....)

hey jeffrey0603, i own a sx les paul snd a craftsman les paul.
The sx is cheaper and still i can get the same even better tone than the craftsman

Though some SX have shoddy build quality, some really can be good. But craftsman guitars have a overall lasting appeal.

Back