Acoustic gigs - your setup? Brushes? Snare? DIY instruments

drumsolo86

Hi guys, I was wondering what do drummers bring for acoustic gigs? Yeah I see plenty of cajons out there but I am looking for alternatives cos' I don't think it really fills up the space as compared to a good small setup of bass drum + snare + keeper (hats/ride).

So I thought this might be an interesting thread to all those who're doing acoustic gigs out there what you guys use? I recall Fuman's self-made DIY cocktail kit with a cajon doubling as a bass drum and the usual drumkit setup.

But feel free to chip in, if better pics will be good as well. I think this forum is quite lacking in pictures. I'll try to post something up and get criticism and some evaluation for it. Right now, I'm looking at a snare, tambourine/shaker kind of setup but I think it's kinda of lacking in punch.

Hope you guys can share some of your secrets out there, like DIY instruments or some methods you've been using at acoustic gigs?

Oh ya a point to note, don't put up entire kits alright? Setups short of a full kit is what I hope to contribute as a thread. I have some ideas in my mind and I'll put up some pictures of it soon.

because most of my acoustic gigs are for weddings and hotels, i usually have:

- djembe
- perc (shaker, cowbell etc)
- snare
- hats
- ride

imo, the djembe is more versatile than the cajon. it also has a wider range of frequencies thus sounding more pleasing or "complete". the snare hats and cymbal (basically 1/2 the kit) are for swing songs.

the cajon makes a funky stylo throne though...

i just had my first acoustic gig 2 weeks ago i think. i brought my bass drum, pedal, snare, hi0hat and brush. hahaha sounded weird but overall alright, considering that it's my first acoustic gig. wouldn't wanna have another one anytime soon though...

because most of my acoustic gigs are for weddings and hotels, i usually have:

- djembe
- perc (shaker, cowbell etc)
- snare
- hats
- ride

imo, the djembe is more versatile than the cajon. it also has a wider range of frequencies thus sounding more pleasing or "complete". the snare hats and cymbal (basically 1/2 the kit) are for swing songs.

the cajon makes a funky stylo throne though...

Turbochicken, is the djembe doubling as your bass drum?

i use mixture depending on the situation, usually cajon, snare, one cymbal and one pair hats. been thinking bout getting pair of bongos, or travel congas.

don't be afraid to experiment. if you're setup differs from another fellow you'll likely get different sounds. anyways no two person will phrase exactly the same.

also, with the cajon u need not bring a throne or leave your seat to the fates of the venue (cheap plastic chair, bar stools etc.)

Its really about what you want to present to the audience and what is required from your band's music. If you want a more traditional percussive sound, then use a variety of hand percussion instruments (cajon, bongo, djembe etc) but if your band requires you to sound more like a contemporary drum kit drummer then you will need a set up that can provide that.

Most of my gigs require a mixture of top 40s, jazz, latin jazz etc. thus my mini drum kit setup (which I think gives me the most versatility). I just tried a new setup last night that allows me to open and close my hats...will post up pictures soon.

imo, the djembe is more versatile than the cajon. it also has a wider range of frequencies thus sounding more pleasing or "complete".

Adding to that: Projects better, sounds fab with brushes.

The only problem I find with cajons is that they really work best only in smaller, intimate venues. Anything large with high ceilings - ballroom or restaurant, you kinda need to mic up... (from my limited non-professional experience)

It would be really sweet to have a Gigpig for stuff like that, for the convenience and cool all-in-one factor :D

http://www.gigpig.org/

gigpig1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwNDbbbTK0Y

Last edited:
I saw the gigpig at namm 3-4 yrs back but the owner refused to ship to Singapore. Then now when they r finally shipping, I find it costs way too much. Besides, the snares r too small for decent brush sweeps. With my humble brush skills I'm gonna have difficulties with the wires getting caught all the time. It'll be great for all other stuff tho, but it weighs a ton too...

So far I've done two acoustic gigs. Nothing fancy fancy.

The first one, I used just a cajon and jingle sticks (before I brought in the Tangereens)

The second one my setup was this:

12x7 Pearl Soprano
16x14 kick (converted from an older stage custom floor tom)
13" K hats
12" K Custom Dark splash
17" Agop Sultan crash
Tangereens (One jingle, one shaker)

Everything I borrowed from a friend 'cept for the K hats and the Tangs.

Like Alvin said,

Its really about what you want to present to the audience and what is required from your band's music.

Nice! Looked like fun.

Pictures of the new setup would be nice.

Did you like clamp everything to your hihat stand? Don't think I've seen snare stands go so low, except the 1000D I think?

And the Multiway sounds really good.

One last question! What was your cymbal setup?

Yes, everything off the hi-hat stand, but must be a heavy stand though. Even then, it took some experimenting to balance everything well.

The multiway is great although I think another inch in depth would be nice.

Cymbal setup were all Turkish. 12" Classic Hats, 10" classic splash and 16" classic crash (I was just experimenting with the 16" classic, usually I would use a 16" kurak cos it has more body to be used as a mini crash/ride)

I'm getting Aaron aka malmbas to build me a kit based on this setup but with some exotic Australian hardwood. Can't wait to see the finished product man....

Wow Alvin I checked your vids out. I think the bass sound can b heard if its mic-ed up. Really good! Your stand muz be really sturdy to support all the weight of the cymbals and stuff right..

And I still haven learnt how to reverse the cam on my pedal after some tweaking, I'm really bad at this..

Yes, everything off the hi-hat stand, but must be a heavy stand though. Even then, it took some experimenting to balance everything well.

The multiway is great although I think another inch in depth would be nice.

Cymbal setup were all Turkish. 12" Classic Hats, 10" classic splash and 16" classic crash (I was just experimenting with the 16" classic, usually I would use a 16" kurak cos it has more body to be used as a mini crash/ride)

I'm getting Aaron aka malmbas to build me a kit based on this setup but with some exotic Australian hardwood. Can't wait to see the finished product man....

I see. Interesting. I was actually commenting on Fuman's acoustic kit (cajon as BD) that he would have to bring less stands if he attached the snare to the hi-hat stand.

You're using an ISS mount?

Ah I see. Didn't come through as thin or weak (for lack of better words; and I assume the extra inch would mean more body) when I watched the videos. Just sounded like a good ol' piccolo!

Oh I figured you would go for a more crash-y splash, like 12" or maybe even 13". The Kurak would be nicer, I imagine. More stick. But would the volume be compromised since it's drier? (Guessing.)

Very nice! I guess you're gonna keep us guessing until the kit is done up? Jarrah or Sheoak? :)

Thanks for your time.

Yup, I just need one trip from my car. Very portable. I tried both the kurak at Dubliner and the volume diff is very slight but the wash difference is especially distinctive there. Yes, more stick click with kurak n more controlled when crashed. I play at a jazz setup for a function a few weeks back n it's just perfect in a quiet hotel setting cos the wash is quite contained.

Wood:---Neither!! Haha!!

Last edited:
Back