Acoustic gigs - your setup? Brushes? Snare? DIY instruments
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Acoustic gigs - your setup? Brushes? Snare? DIY instruments

Hi guys, I was wondering what do drummers bring for acoustic gigs? Yeah I see plenty of cajons out there but I am looking for alternatives cos' I don't think it really fills up the space as compared to a good small setup of bass drum + snare + keeper (hats/ride).

So I thought this might be an interesting thread to all those who're doing acoustic gigs out there what you guys use? I recall Fuman's self-made DIY cocktail kit with a cajon doubling as a bass drum and the usual drumkit setup.

But feel free to chip in, if better pics will be good as well. I think this forum is quite lacking in pictures. I'll try to post something up and get criticism and some evaluation for it. Right now, I'm looking at a snare, tambourine/shaker kind of setup but I think it's kinda of lacking in punch.

Hope you guys can share some of your secrets out there, like DIY instruments or some methods you've been using at acoustic gigs?

Oh ya a point to note, don't put up entire kits alright? Setups short of a full kit is what I hope to contribute as a thread. I have some ideas in my mind and I'll put up some pictures of it soon.

Check out Alvin's. Search it up.

3. because most of my acoustic gigs are for weddings and hotels, i usually have:

- djembe
    - perc (shaker, cowbell etc)
    - snare
    - hats
    - ride

imo, the djembe is more versatile than the cajon. it also has a wider range of frequencies thus sounding more pleasing or "complete". the snare hats and cymbal (basically 1/2 the kit) are for swing songs.

the cajon makes a funky stylo throne though...
    turbochicken.tumblr.com

My 3 piece acoustic band uses cajon(drumbox).Do visit us at www.myspace.com/dfusionlive

Cheers!

i just had my first acoustic gig 2 weeks ago i think. i brought my bass drum, pedal, snare, hi0hat and brush. hahaha sounded weird but overall alright, considering that it's my first acoustic gig. wouldn't wanna have another one anytime soon though...
    Freaks of Adroit

if my toes are made of broccoli, i would rule the world. =D

6. Quote Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
    Check out Alvin's. Search it up.
    Yeah I did Alvin's setup is really good.. very workable. Floor tom doubling as a bass drum.

7. Quote Originally Posted by turbochicken View Post
    because most of my acoustic gigs are for weddings and hotels, i usually have:

- djembe
    - perc (shaker, cowbell etc)
    - snare
    - hats
    - ride

imo, the djembe is more versatile than the cajon. it also has a wider range of frequencies thus sounding more pleasing or "complete". the snare hats and cymbal (basically 1/2 the kit) are for swing songs.

the cajon makes a funky stylo throne though...
    Turbochicken, is the djembe doubling as your bass drum?

I'm not a drummer but this is pretty cool. Brush + Newspaper + staircase.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR4kyadzLzM

It's your backup plan if all else fails. :P

i use mixture depending on the situation, usually cajon, snare, one cymbal and one pair hats. been thinking bout getting pair of bongos, or travel congas.

don't be afraid to experiment. if you're setup differs from another fellow you'll likely get different sounds. anyways no two person will phrase exactly the same.

also, with the cajon u need not bring a throne or leave your seat to the fates of the venue (cheap plastic chair, bar stools etc.)

Its really about what you want to present to the audience and what is required from your band's music. If you want a more traditional percussive sound, then use a variety of hand percussion instruments (cajon, bongo, djembe etc) but if your band requires you to sound more like a contemporary drum kit drummer then you will need a set up that can provide that.

Most of my gigs require a mixture of top 40s, jazz, latin jazz etc. thus my mini drum kit setup (which I think gives me the most versatility). I just tried a new setup last night that allows me to open and close my hats...will post up pictures soon.
    Proudly endorsed by
    And Supported by Malmborg Drums
    http://www.themusiclab.com.sg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast