Cajón Drum

extremers

hey precussion people, any of you guys know of a place in Singapore that sells Cajón Drums and how much they cost?

FYI, Swee Lee's bringing in a shipment of Meinl cajons in mid-July. They don't have any in stock now, what's left are a set of conga cajons only.

*waves hello
i know it aint quite the topic of this thread but anyone who wants to play the cajon for an acoustic band can PM me thanks! :)

*waves hello
i know it aint quite the topic of this thread but anyone who wants to play the cajon for an acoustic band can PM me thanks! :)

I play the cajon and I don't have an acoustic band yet. Do you currently have nightly gigs? I prefer weekends...:p

I own a menil adjustable snare cajon. Black Sparkle.

Very nice sounding bass. But abit weak on the snares.

I tried the lp ones as well. But i just don't seem to be able to find 1 to have a nice balance of both snare n bass tones.

Anyone got a killer cajon to recommend?

Hi guys.. Recently built a cajón for my brother. hehe.

Be kind as it's my first attempt with very little knowledge on a cajón!

VM00003.jpg

VM00001.jpg

VM00002.jpg

VM00004.jpg

How does it sound? I read that the edge seal is important to the sound, and it looks like the edges of your DIY cajon were left unsealed to a certain extent.

The sound hole looks slightly smaller than most off-the-shelf cajons, how does that affect the sound as well?

I like the personalised logo on the tapa!

Nice work, interesting.

Looking at the thickness of the wood used (ikea?), it must be pretty heavy.

The gaps didn't really affect the sound, at least to me :)
but yes i do plan to fill them up with fillers and such. It's pretty hard hard 2 cut a straight line without a bench or table saw.. I'm using a jigsaw on this.

Yes it's ikea wood(pine wood) all round except the tapa. The tapa is made of basswood ply :)

Sound is pretty boomy now. I've to agree i'm lacking of snare here.. probably because i'm not using enuff strings inside. Currently running 2 low E classical strings only, i'll probably add 2 more in to increase the snare :D

Last edited:
wah very nice !!!! :mrgreen:

i can feel the love of a brother used to make the cajon.... hehe...

cheers,
alfe

Nice DIY cajon there Vincent, especially for a first attempt. Keep on honing your building skills and I'm sure you'll build awesome cajons one day.

Maybe one day I will order a custom cajon from you! :D

lol mel..

Chinese:'dang dang bu qi'

Yeah i but i though of build more cajon. It's quite fun in a way to build one but definitely time and effort consuming. Honestly, when you built one, you'll realize the price they are selling out there is really ok. haha!

Sound is pretty boomy now. I've to agree i'm lacking of snare here.. probably because i'm not using enuff strings inside.

Thanks for sharing some of the details. With a jig-saw?? Respect!

I've always wanted to build one. Good to see that the lack of tools hasn't hampered your passion and drive :p

(Did you base your build on some of the specs/instructions here?)

More questions: How adjustable is the tapa? Also, how are the strings/snares attached right now?

Schlagwerk actually has a DIY cajon kit, complete with construction manual. Too bad it's only available in German.

http://www.mycajon.de/1.html

thumb.asp

This is a jigsaw and the exact model i am using.

I've read thru that website you've linked. It's pretty useful but i didnt not tied my strings as per that method. I actually came up with my own method so that i can tune the strings. I'll post more pic if i can get the cajon to sound better first. Right now.. the snare is really lacking.. :(

Anyway i based alot on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odZanDuClLo&feature=related Although i dun understand what he is trying to say but the video allowed me to see how the internal cajon looks like and how tight the string should be.. It'll be great if any 1 can understand espanol and translate for us :)

Nice work, interesting.

Looking at the thickness of the wood used (ikea?), it must be pretty heavy.
It is heavy! but the sound is something you don't wanna miss! Btw.. look at the youtube link i pasted above and tell me if his cajon is thicker then mine.

Aha. I see.

Cool video. One comment is that the cajon in that video seems to be more 'traditional', for flamenco, so I think the string/snare sound isn't a very prominent factor. At least not as much as we like if we were using the cajon in 'rock/pop' oriented music.

Hmm, I think his (in the video) looks like it's just slightly thinner.

Hey guys just wondering, what kind of cymbal would you use when you're playing cajon? Like since you're gonna have to use your hand, would it be the same as for drum sets where its up to the sound you want or should you generally go for fuller crashes?

Back